Sunday, December 5, 2010

The Golden Rule

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

What does this quote mean to you? To me, it means I "put myself in other people's shoes" when I make decisions that concern them. In other words, before I act I'll often ask myself, "how would I want other people to treat me if I was in the exact situation they're in now?" The answer to that question is the action I choose.

I believe this thought process/heuristic is not only morally, logically, and philosophically consistent, but extremely important, as it acknowledges the reality that other people exist and shape the world too, which is what makes humans necessarily social creatures.

(Disclaimer: The above post is just what's rattling around Jayemel's brain, and no one else's brain or any organization's Standard Operating Procedure or Manual or like concept, on a fall Sunday morning during a week when the Patriots don't play until Monday night.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

be considerate, respect people, and maintain your integrity even when others are acting in ways that make you want to kick them. be your best, set your own standards and live by them. be an example of what you believe in.