Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Dr. Horrible Review: A Penny saved...

As most people know, during the writer's strike of 2008 Joss Whedon and family wrote a 42 minute short (is that an oxymoron?) and produced it all on their own (isn't that special?). "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog" stars Neil Patrick, Nathan Fillion, and Felicia Day. I've really enjoyed it from the first time I saw, but never really been able to figure out what it was about...until now. If you haven't seen it yet, go to Hulu and watch it before reading the rest of this post.

On it's face, "Dr. Horrible" is about the inversion of hero and villian as the protagonist and antagonist. Dr. Horrible/Billy, the villian, is the protagonist. Captain Hammer, the hero, is the antagonist. However, I don't believe this immediate interpretation is correct. In my estimation, neither Horrible or Hammer (two Hs, coincidence?) are the Hero (one H, coincidence?) of this web show.

The true hero is Felicia Day as Penny in an understated and apparently backgrounded (intentionally) performance. Her death is what makes the story a tragedy (Hey, I told you to watch it before you read on.). Over the next week I will be posting an analysis of each act that proves this assertion and reveals the important commentary the Whedons are making on male archetypes, especially that of Dr. Horrible/Billy.

Join me next time for my analysis of Act One: "A Real Audible Connection."

No comments: